Teacher as researcherThis implies you will need to:
- do some training to learn how to do research.
- read a lot of research papers, follow references and interpret data etc
- carry out research in your classroom.
- It takes a lot of time.
- You need to be able to understand the language used in academic papers.
- You may become selective, finding only research that agrees with you own ideas.
- You may believe that your small piece of research is valid and claim some expertise.
Teacher using research.This is much simpler. We acknowledge that we have little time and lack the skills to compare research papers etc.
- Use meta-studies and research reviews written by professional researchers. These look at all the evidence available and create an average or summary of the evidence.
- Pick methods which, on balance have been shown to be most effective.
- Choose one or two and practice with them.